Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Releasing the inner child, storyboarding and knowledge management

I went to the excellent Anecdote blog and saw a comment from one of their commentators Daryl. He had recently had a chat with the CEO at plasq.com regarding using their product Comic Life.

I started to use Comic life as a means of storyboarding initially to help a friend out with something for his kids. However, I did initially start to play with it as a means of playing to develop some KM concepts and possible product developments on a personal basis. I did this fairly secretly for fear of ridicule at my place of work who would not seen it as 'work'. Also as a Apple Mac user - I thought that it would be difficult to transfer over to a Windows centric (though on closer investigation I was wrong.

All is not lost though for windows users - plasq are developing a version for Windows which is currently in beta. Another beta that people may want to have a look at Skitch which looks useful in sharing images and can do it via Flickr.

I wasn't totally convinced with using comic life but towards the end of last year a company called Zengobi did a give away I picked up a copy of Curio basic which takes up storyboarding a bit more though it appears to be Mac only. This version enhanced my abilities to do more complex story boarding which I found of more use and more flexible

Can I recommend that you have a look at Zengobi and have a look at Curio especially the Pro Version as this may extend the concept for you. This is particularly relevant as they have recently upgraded to V4 which I am testing out on a 60 day trial version before deciding to upgrade.

But what if I don't have a computer - I hear you say

Another option that I have used is the storyboarding option from the Moleskine diaries as a handy carry around for me to use covering mind maps etc and the use of a trusty pencil and then inking it in or transferring the concept over to Curio.

I've always found that if you can encourage people to play and use computers as a means of liberating that, then people can use it for how they overcam a particular problem or use it to show some best practice on the production line.

Maybe I will go back to comic life and use it in a full blown presentation one day......

PS - it is amazing what happens with synchronicity and whilst I was thinking about cognitive biases and went to wikipedia to find out about it - so had Anecdote the day before - so to avoid any problems, I'll give them a hat tip on this one as well. If you are in knowledge management and haven't looked at their blog you are missing out on some great nuggets relating to KM.

No comments: