Search This Blog

Friday, September 08, 2006

An Inconvenient Truth

Watching the early morning news today the BBC had two items that contrasted. They were interviewing Al Gore about his new film as per the title. I think that this is a film that everyone should go and watch about global warming and the title link is to a website about the film and the book which opens up at the end of next week.. Although I have no children I do beleive that it is our imperative to leave the world a little better than we found it. Sadly despite 30 years or more of warning I do think that we are little further forward in convincing people to change their lifestyle.

Well regrettably it may be that one day in the future we will all have a carbon ration that we are allowed to utilise during the year - and maybe that flight overseas via a budget airline will become as socially reprehensible as smoking in a public place or drinking and driving. I do think that it is up to ourselves to take action before economics and mother nature drives us down this path that we will need to take. We may despair that Al Gore as the second most powerful politician in the USA was unable to achieve anything - but I do believe that action by a growing band of citizens may help.

I have to say I found Gore an impressive figure and compare him with the person who is in the White House now and compare their intellectual standings and ability to take the longer view.

Coincidentally, Sainsbury's trumpeted it's green credentials by stating that it was launching a scheme to have compostable packaging on 500 products - oh well only 39500 to go then. Also where do I find a compostor that is close to me in my block of flats? so when you are next in Sainsbury's ask them when they are going to reduce the over packaging a little bit more and also how much of their produce is bought locally. As one of their competitors says - 'Every little helps."

No comments: